Spinning, Knitting, Crocheting, Organic Gardening, Living off-grid, and chasing sheep - because- I'm, like, NOT SANE!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Back on the Horse


Just when I had begun to believe I am inhaling too many dye fumes and, thereby, endangering my precious family - and had just about opted to plant dandelions, or better, RAGWEED in my dye pots and set them beside the window (note sadistic but wimpy desire for self-torture), this book came in the mail. It is so awesome I am sending hubby on a mordant supplies hunt this afternoon so I can try some of the weeds I picked out of the garden this morning. Maybe I should specify that I am DYEING the weeds. Well, not really the weeds but the fib....whatever! Nothing gets a homebody like myself a dustin', washin', and workin' like catastrophe and certain doom. In addition to my frantic weekly knitting, I done some spinning and had a cheap, afternoon interlude with the dye pot. The two purple skeins are over-dyed on the gray that you see in the ball at the top (roving). I really like the depth of color that over-dyeing a gray or beige yarn gives you.


The book is "Nature's Colors" by Ida Grae, copyright 1974. It was an ebay impulse buy that I can be proud of. I am so excited about this book as I tried my first batch of 'weed' dyes about a month ago, when I dyed some olive green color out of nettles. Forgive me if I bore you, but the idea of turning a pernicious, stinging weed into a beautiful olive green is kinda as hard as the cheap thrills train hits me these days - it is simply too hot for even modest wildness. And, as you know, the weeds have to go SOMEWHERE. The rainbow yarn is, well, some 'rainbow' batts that I am hoarding and will only list on ebay if someone I like asks or I am forced to choose between that and sewing some canvas into a reasonable home. Remember, I lived in a yurt for two years - reasonable means probably something different for me. Lastly, because I don't want to draw attention to it and risk interesting anyone, the emerald green skein is none other than my Cotswold lamb/tussah silk batts called 'evergreen'. Trust me, you'd hate them. They are soft, beautiful and so lusterous you might get a reputation - I'm saving you the hassle by adding them to my 'stash'. Oh, and the sari silk I spun up because, I needed the stress!