Spinning, Knitting, Crocheting, Organic Gardening, Living off-grid, and chasing sheep - because- I'm, like, NOT SANE!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Tacky Behavior

Last summer, before a music festival, I made myself a sort of halter top. It was to go under a little scarf top I'd sewn out of too-sheer fabric, so I needed both a boobholster and an undershirt - love the halter top. But, later that week, when my dear daughter had been being particularly nasty to everyone, I got all ready for a trip to the library and put on, you guessed it, the halter top. She quickly declared she wasn't going until I put on something that showed less of my chest. Apparently, it is embarrassing if your mom has boobs. So, because we are nicer to each other these days, and it is really very hot, I am working on a KNIT halter top in some cheesy cheap cotton yarn that I bought a while back because I love the blues, brown, etc. in it. I'm almost done with it and since my failure to complete projects rate looms ever grander, I've been determined to work on it through whatever comes my way. Also, it is very hot.
IMG_0002
And while last week shook me up in a totally good way, I can only say it must have been preparation for the shake rattle and roll that arrived ups yesterday - my first round of professional processed farm-witch ROVING. This is a huge step, as those who've listened (patiently) to my woes of hand-carding know. Prior to finding a pot of gold at the end of the perpetually dismal rainbow, I have been unable to find a processor that would do anything other than color variegating for me. Most processors don't even like you to do your own dyeing. They laugh at the mention of sari silk and glitz, which, I know is a pain in that it takes extra effort to clean off the carder to get it all out but, you know, it sparkles and that feels good sometimes. Between all that and the deadlines, prices, etc., it just hasn't been possible for me to send my stuff out, hence, the hand-carded batt. Don't get me wrong, the hand-carded batt is fine and good but if you're doing any shows or sales, it can get impossible to keep up with unless you have a closet full of popeye's to muscle through. I was feeling pretty hopeless until I stumbled upon a peculiarly similar(in that they are wierdly kind, and alot of similarities lie in our art pursuits) couple in Utah, Spinderella's Creations. It's like tripping over your ruby slippers when you know you've looked for them in that same spot a million times. You name it, they do it. So, Queen Mermaid, fully intact with her sari silk, her glitz, her silk, her Cotswold, her many different shades of blue and green - comes alive in a noodle that is super easy to spin. She has a friend, Lady of the Lake - again with glitz, silk, sari, candy, chocolate....okay, the last bit was a lie. Still, beautiful. But, if you're down on the ocean colors (too much rain this year?) or you just want some fire in your eyes, try Fire Goblet. Thing 1 designed this color scheme and made some batts to sell so she could go see the stinking movie (her opinion and mine). We conclued, later, that the batts were more fun than the movie. Course, now she's got the fun and easy noodle form to work with. She'll spin that up as soon as I let her at the wheel. Thing 2's favorite was lady of the lake. He's going to make something in the toy line with it. Thing 3 liked them all and immediately reminded me his birthday is just around the corner. So subtle they are at 6. I played a dirty trick on Spinderella, though, by sending her this innocent three color, small batch of wool and then shipping her two boxes with 40 lbs. of my pent-up dyeing anxiety. That has got to indicate my reverence for her work. It was like ripping out an organ and shipping it away. ONly assured that it is in the hands of one who understands that fiber is art and that an artist needs license to be as wierd as she needs to be could I be so bold. Just when I started to get hives and feel as though I may have made some terrible leap, the box arrived and I ripped it open, sighed with relief, and commenced to rolling all around with it (that's the part I kept for myself to spin). My kids looked on in disgust and asked, "When's dinner gonna be ready?" You ever get the feeling that nobody REALLY understands you?

I'll get some of these noodles posted on the farm blog for sale sometime tomorrow. Until then, me and my tacky halter top knitting are going to hubster's office with the things 1, 2, and 3 for a front-row seat to watch our lakeside fireworks. As if, I needed the excitement.