Spinning, Knitting, Crocheting, Organic Gardening, Living off-grid, and chasing sheep - because- I'm, like, NOT SANE!

Friday, May 30, 2008

Setting things right.....

It would seem that in the chaos that was our family life last week, I may have begun muttering to myself and deluded my kind people into believing I was far enough gone that I would notice the housework that didn't happen while I was away. We spent the better part of this morning re-visiting what the term 'clear the table' means and exploring the pile of goodies under the table since it appears that the broom 'went missing' while I was away and, naturally, all assumed I had -what? - packed it just in case? I suspect more time will need to be taken to set things right and this suspicion is backed up by some fact and revelations of more piles of 'mom's not here, just stick it anywhere' sort of shuffling of junk, mail, and discarded pizza boxes.

vardo handspun 003Just so you don't go thinking I've gone virtuous in housekeeping myself or anything, you can see that this assignment of priorities is not benign as I could have and probably should have done so much more before I planted myself in front of the wheel and finished these beauties. The vardo batts spun up like buttah, truly. I was puzzling with how I'd spin them and then reminded myself that spinning is for flowing and knitting is for the tinkering. Sometimes, you just can't over-think it. So, I ripped the batts in half lengthwise and just started at it. I am more than thrilled with the results. All of the colors are represented in the yarn and in small but fluid proportions so they will knit fairly uniformly. All the while I was plying, I started to think about a yoke sweater and I may have fallen asleep the night before last flipping through the colorwork section of my Walker Treasuries.

vardo handspun 004I confess that after the 4 ozs. of dk wgt yarn I got a little impatient so I just navajo plied the last bobbin - partly out of said laziness and partly out of curiosity. I like both but the two ply marries the colors more in a way I enjoy (as we knew it would, didn't we). I'll still use them together in my design, though, because I think they'll play against each other in a fascinating way. Now, I have to get back on the cleaning bandwagon and go seed some spinach, lettuce, and herbs before the big rains come. Sure, I could have done the planting yesterday or this morning, when the sun was bright and the mosquitoes weren't en force enough to suck a vein totally dry but, what would be the fun in that? I wouldn't have a picture of seductive, sparkly yummyyarn in my head to look at. Plus, I'm a bit of a masochist and I suspect I was subconsciously waiting for the clouds to billow overhead and the ominous feeling of doom to settle in just to, you know, INSPIRE me to move quicker. Pass the bug dope.....